Here are some important tips for you and your children to have a Happy & Safe Halloween! If you follow these tips, you will have a great holiday with your family.
1. Take a flashlight with you or wear bright, reflective clothing or something that glows in the dark. Remember glow in the dark items will run out over time so make sure anything that glows will last the duration of your outing!
2. Plan your route in advance, if you are not going to accompany older children, make sure you know where they are going and give them a cell phone if they don’t already have one. Having the older children go in a group is even better.
3. Make sure your kids have comfortable shoes and that their costumes are not a trip hazard for walking in the dark. Masks can make it difficult to breathe and see, try to avoid a mask and use a nontoxic face paint instead.
4. Try to avoid costumes that have weapons, but if your child wants a costume that won’t be complete without a weapon, make it flexible. There are many ways to DIY a flexible weapon to keep everyone safe.
5. CHECK your child’s candy before they eat any of it! We cannot stress this enough. We have seen posts that Patient First is offering FREE X-Rays on all Halloween candy! Be sure to throw away any candy not in its wrapper or looks like the package has been opened. Only trust candy from people you know such as family.
6. Remind your children to go to homes that have a porch light on and to never enter a home.